How to File a 51A Report
A mandated reporter:
- Must phone in an oral report immediately by calling the local area office where the child lives or the Hotline after-hours or on the weekend;
- Must file a written report with DCF within 48 hours;
- May also notify local law authorities.
A 51A report filed by a mandated reporter shall contain:
- The names and addresses of the child and the child’s parents or other person responsible for the child’s care, if known;
- The child’s age;
- The child’s sex;
- The nature and extent of the child’s injuries, abuse, maltreatment or neglect, including any evidence of prior injuries, abuse, maltreatment or neglect;
- The circumstances under which the person required to report first became aware of the child’s injuries, abuse, maltreatment or neglect;
- Whatever action, if any, was taken to treat, shelter or otherwise assist the child;
- The name of the person or persons making the report;
- Any other information that the person reporting believes might be helpful in establishing the cause of the injuries;
- The identity of the person or persons responsible for the neglect or injuries; and
- Other information required by the department.